Chris's Reviews > Dhampir

Dhampir by Barb Hendee

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2008

Cover looks more interesting than the story was.
Bottom Line: Try before you buy
I haven't read any of the Hendee work before, so I started reading this with complete neutrality. Having read the brief synopsis of the book, the story seemed like it could be good...vampires, vampire slayer ridding the world of the fiends, town by town...all good stuff.
However, this book sorely missed the mark. The main character, wasn't all that intriguing, despite her job title. And her relationship with her partner, the elf, didn't seem all that interesting either. And them taking advantage of small towns...while I don't expect good characters to be without flaws and the like, I do expect them to have some amount of depth and eccentricities that draw me in and have me captivated by their plight. Added to that, them leaving the scene to buy a bar in a small town, so they can settle down and be normal folk...but of course they can't because they run problems in their town. Of what you ask? Vampires.
Laurell K. Hamilton, Ilona Andrews, MaryJanice Davidson, Kim Harrison, Keri Arthur and such have interesting paranormal adventure stories with much more interesting characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dhampir.