Danielle's Reviews > Thirteenth Night

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, suspense-mystery
Read from December 12 to 20, 2011

I picked this book up because a) I love Shakespeare and Twelfth Night is one of my favs and b) I saw it mentioned on a list of favorite mystery series on goodreads. I'll admit straight off that I had high hopes. Another confession: I haven't exactly read Twelfth Night in almost a decade. I have a feeling my 3 star review is more my own fault than Alan Gordon's.

Thirteenth Night is well written, the characters are nicely fleshed out, and the events are interesting. Unfortunately, something about this book did not sit quite right with me. I think my inner illustrations of what the characters of Twelfth Night should be were not well aligned with Gordon's take on their future selves. There was a closeness described between Viola and the Feste that I don't remember feeling in the play. I remember Viola as more of a solitary character, though granted that was some time ago, and if the Fool stayed in the service of Orsino for long that relationship probably would have changed. I think the main problem is that I really wanted to like this book and I set myself up for disappointment. I'm going to go back and re-read Twelfth Night, then maybe I'll see something I missed this go around. After that, I'll probably still go on to the next book in the series, especially now that I have a more realistic view of what to expect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteenth Night.