Sammi's Reviews > The Historian

6220864
Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, romance
Read from January 07 to 12, 2012

I got given this book when I was 17 by my college psychology teacher.
She had read it, and enjoyed it and gave it to me because she thought it would be the type of book I'd be interested in.
She used to call me her 'little alternative girl' and saw me as a kind of neice - so a gothic, history tale like this, she thought, would have all the appeal to me.
I read it upto page 130 when she gave it to me, but then I moved home and lost it. I recently found it and started up with it again.
Its wonderfully written, I loved how you could read from various point of views and understand the story written through the characters own documented accounts of their adventures.
Initially, I didn't think I would like it. Don't get me wrong, I love history and vampires are all well and good - but honestly I wasn't that interested in dracula himself.
This book, however, even though dracula himself is the main objective is not too heavily burdoned with his presence. It dotes more on the historical accounts of his life and the search for information about him because of the dissaperance of Proffessor Rossi.
Its gothic, historical, beautifully written, romantic and engaging.
Although I must admit, slow at times and honestly - I did not like the ending at all. But other than those downfalls, this book was an incredibly enjoyable read. Recommended for anyone who loves historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.

Quotes Sammi Liked

Elizabeth Kostova
“When you handle books all day long, every new one is a friend and a temptation.”
Elizabeth Kostova, The Historian