Jenn's Reviews > Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far

Not Afraid of Life by Bristol Palin

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, teen-pregnancy, celeb-bios
Read from September 04 to 09, 2011

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I picked this up and am continuing to read it. However I was interested for several reasons. Just like when I read her mother's book, I think it is important to learn about some of these so called "celebrities" before so harshly judging them.

What I think so far:
*She talks a lot about her mother and recounts stories that were brought up in Sarah's book... (hmm, could they have been written by one person?? Could this be another campaign strategy?)
*I think it might be nice for teens to read and have someone to relate to, in terms of saying you want to remain pure until marriage and then making a mistake. It happens to the best of us, and it is important to pick yourself back up, rather than beating yourself up about it.
*It should have been better edited. She was talking about riding to school with her brother and the "base" was pounding. (Either the ghost writer or someone at HarperCollins should have caught that one during editing read-throughs. It is BASS. Maybe she is just like her mother and doesn't read, so she wouldn't know the difference).
*Another example of that is when she is talking about her road trip from Alaska to LA and says they stopped in Utah "at a city called Cedar." Really?!? It is Cedar City *shakes head*
*She skips around in time a lot. It would have been nice to put even an approximate date to events, such as her run on DWTS.

Overall, I think the point of the book was good albeit too long. Talking openly & honestly about her struggles with teenage pregnancy & motherhood, trying to see the good in Levi but having to realize she can't fix him. I think a lot of teens struggle with that. I know I did when I was a teen in a similar situation. I think she spent too much time talking about her mom, although I see that she was trying to show that she wanted a similar childhood and family for her son. I don't like the fact that she never mentions considering adoption. I don't know if she ever did but too many teens & people in general disregard it, thinking thet have two choices, abortion or parenting.

I also wish that she would have included more about her future plans in terms of schooling. She talked about wanting to finish high school (which she did) and then learn a trade. But then she became "famous" and it sounds like she doesn't even work @ the drs office anymore. She may be the exception and be able to support her son on her DWTS winnings, book deal, & other tabloid deals, but it isn't realistic especially if the point of the book was to encourage other teen parents.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Afraid of Life.

09/06/2011 page 64