Brian's Reviews > Math Curse

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: finished-midl221-books
Read on September 21, 2011

For ages > 6 and < 99
Have you ever had a math teacher that has said, "you will need to know this one day?" or how about a math teacher tell you that life can be viewed as a math problem? Meet Mrs. Fibonacci! On Monday, Mrs. Fibonacci says, "You can think of almost everything as a math problem." How many Lincolns are in a Washington? How many Washingtons are in a Lincoln? Is there an answer? How might Thomas Jefferson feel about this? Lunch, Social Studies, English, Phys.Ed. all have math in it. Can you see it?

John Scieszka did a fabulous job of breaking down the day of a typical school child into math while also injecting some humor that makes makes this perfect for students/readers young and old. The art work and illustrations that Lane Smith added to the book made Scieszka's words come to life and add dimension. The artwork also helps paint a picture of what is going through the mind of the student as he deals with the math curse.

The math is probably a little advanced for elementary school students but is perfect for middle school students. Some of the humor that Scieszka uses is tongue-in-cheek, brainteaser-esque and may be a little out of reach for some students but they will certainly be able to do most of the math. Though I know math is in everyday life, I never thought I used it quite this much until I read the "Math Curse" and saw the day of the typical student mathematically...How do you think you would fair in the "Math Curse"? Could you get out?

I saw many extensions that can be done in the classroom such as having the students view their own day in math as well having them write their own math curse. This book is already on is way to becoming part of my home library but, it'll definitely be part of my classroom library as well!

I loved this book so much that I had to find out what Mr. Newton meant at the end when he said, "you know, you can think of almost everything as a science experiment..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Math Curse.