theCannibalGirl's Reviews > The Butterfly Clues

The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison

Sep 09, 2011

liked it
Read from September 06 to 09, 2011

Kate Ellison has portrayed 'Lo' perfectly. You step into the mind of someone with a serious illness. You feel the confusion, the drive to do things that you don't want to do. I believe Kate spent so much time on the overwhelming character of Lo that the other characters were lacking. You have the boyfriend- a street-wise artist stealing art supplies from dumpsters and living in abandoned buildings. He wasn't a very compelling character, just another part of the scenery. You have the dead stripper -Sapphire- who was the object of an obsession for both Lo and her murderer. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the book, but your mind goes into sensory overload coping with Lo's mind. There's no room for any other emotions.

The book was well written otherwise, and I have to give the author major props for the description and build of Lo. She hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure I've read a book that has conveyed the sickness that is OCD in such a compelling manner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly Clues.