Becky's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Sep 07, 11

this book starts out quite slow. DONT BE FOOLED! It becomes increasingly hard to put down! The mono-coloured world Fforde presents to the reader is exciting, dangerous and somewhat tragic, but is painted beautifully into our imaginations by an excellent writer. I wasnt expecting it to be quite so funny, having never read anything by Fforde before, and I was more than pleasenly surprised at the laugh out loud moments. Also I loved that every chapter was headed with another seemingly pointless yet hilariously inventive rule.

I dont think that this book is everyones cup of tea, however, and therefore am being very careful about who I recomend it to! buy if you like fantasy, sci-fi and 'what if' stories. dont buy if you like romance novels, serious, or easy reading. Although there is an element of romance (and in fact the novel is based around Love, duty and social positioning-sounds just like a Jane Austin novel right?) this is handled particularly well and humoursly by Fforde, and de facto becomes so, so much more than a traditional romance!

With just the right element of mystery, humour, intrigue, frustration and romance, I absolutely cannot wait for the next installment! Definately my favourite read of 2010/11.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.