Megan's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

Jun 17, 07

bookshelves: horrorthriller

first half is way better than the second.The first half was insanely scary to me. Apocalyptic plagues and zombies are the only things that really really scare me.

I picture Jennifer Connelly as Nadine... I wouldn't say Nadine is my favorite character, because she is really unlikeable, but she is certainly fascinating. I like Larry and Lucy the best, I think...and Dana Jurgens. I do like Franny, but she doesn't feel real to me--maybe it is because I saw the god-awful tv movie version first...the only good part of that is the first scene, showing how the plague got out, with the "Don't Fear the Reaper" song...stupid Mick G. Blech.

This book has a very traditional religious backbone, which I think is interesting...One of my students saw me reading it and said that his mom said that Stephen King was an evil man who made evil books. I told him that his mom was entitled to her opinion on the matter and that she was trying to keep him safe, but that most of the books--while "scary," filled with swearing, and perversity, and while not good for children---deal with good fighting against evil and (usually) winning. What could be more traditional and wholesome than that;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.