Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > The Queen's Lover

The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: couldn-t-bring-myself-to-finish, historical-fiction
Read from September 06 to 13, 2011

I really wanted to like this book about Catherine de Valois. After 108 pages I decided to end the suffering. This story felt contrived to me. It started with Owen Tudor being in France as part of the English entourage who were in town for the betrothal of Catherine and Henry. After this, Owen somehow was left outside in Paris after dark and guards made Christine de Pizan take him in. Here the story seemed to go in a weird direction. Not sure why Pizan played such a big part? 108 pages later, I was still waiting for the story to begin. Sadly, The author's writing style just didn't work for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Lover.

09/06/2011 page 17
3.0% "Why would Royal children have to beg for food?" 4 comments
09/09/2011 page 21
4.0% "Mom's visiting, no free time to read. A page here a page there."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Oh good luck with this :)

message 2: by Rio (Lynne) (new) - added it

Rio (Lynne) On page 17 and can already tell the writing style is in our new category, thanks Jemidar, of Barbie Fiction for beginners. I shouldn't prejudge at page 17 I guess.

message 3: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Rio (Lynne) wrote: "On page 17 and can already tell the writing style is in our new category, thanks Jemidar, of Barbie Fiction for beginners. I shouldn't prejudge at page 17 I guess."

I love that category. We might have to make new shelves here at GR :D

message 4: by Rio (Lynne) (new) - added it

Rio (Lynne) Misfit, did you finish this one?I'm on page 108 and ready to abandon.

message 5: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya I read this but can't even remember it enough to rate it... it must have not stuck out much.

message 6: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Rio (Lynne) wrote: "Misfit, did you finish this one?I'm on page 108 and ready to abandon."

Yes, I did finish but it took me a long long time. I try harder to finish with Vine books than I would with say library book. I'd recommend bailing.