Stephen England's Reviews > Hunter: A Thriller

Hunter by Robert Bidinotto

Sep 06, 11

Read in August, 2011

In Hunter, former Reader’s Digest staff writer Robert James Bidinotto makes the transition from non-fiction to fiction look seamless, delivering one of the best vigilante thrillers since Clancy's Without Remorse.
I’ll admit, I was slightly wary when I first picked up Hunter a few weeks ago. Forget the fact that this was a debut novel—I knew from Bidinotto’s former work that he had a message to deliver with Hunter: the US criminal “justice” system is broken.
Fine, but a thriller has to be more than just a message delivery system, and I was concerned that the story would trip over the message.
In the end, I needn’t have worried: Hunter delivers in a way few thrillers do. From the opening kill shot to the climactic showdown, Hunter strikes home with the power and pinpoint accuracy of a Barrett M99. Dylan Hunter is thoroughly authentic as the highly-trained operative who takes to the streets of urban Virginia and D.C. to deliver justice. And now the very government that gave him his training is hunting him.
The characters, from Dylan Hunter, to Annie Woods, the woman assigned to track down the shadowy assassin, and Ed Cronin, an Alexandria homicide investigator, are well-drawn and believable. And when it comes to delivering his message, Bidinotto lets his characters do that, in a way that is as organic and subtle as the rest of the novel.
In short, may I congratulate Mr. Bidinotto on a fantastic debut thriller. If you’re in the market for a quick-moving read—if you enjoy action, romance, and memorable characters, you could do little better than to pick up a copy of Hunter. A solid five stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter.