booklady's Reviews > The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Apr 20, 2008

bookshelves: classic, 2006, poetry, nature, youth, travel, spiritual, scripture, worth-reading-over-and-over
Recommended for: anyone over the age of 10, can be read to some younger children

First read this in grade school and can't even count the number of times I've read it since. It was really fun to read it with my daughters a couple of years ago when we homeschooling. Several familiar phrases/concepts come from this one poem: the idea of the albatross, "Water, water, every where, And all the boards did shrink; Water water, every where, Nor any drop to drink," and, "He prayeth best best who loveth best, All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all." My edition includes grey and white illustrations by Gustave Doré which seem to fit the poem's mood perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

07/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Booklady, I came across your review by chance. I'm ashamed to say that I have never read this book and so have rectified that by just ordering it!

booklady Lynne wrote: "Booklady, I came across your review by chance. I'm ashamed to say that I have never read this book and so have rectified that by just ordering it!"

Oh I do hope you enjoy it! See you are my first (and only) 'like'. Ha! Also, that there are mistakes in the review... But it is a TRULY a GREAT READ! ENJOY! ☺

message 3: by Lynne (last edited Jul 08, 2016 02:44AM) (new) - added it

Lynne King Booklady, Good heavens, don't worry about mistakes. I make loads and I'm a qualified proofreader! I can see other people's errors but never my own.

"Likes" are in the actions. To proceed to buy the book as I have done here and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

booklady Lynne wrote: "Booklady, Good heavens, don't worry about mistakes. I make loads and I'm a qualified proofreader! I can see other people's errors but never my own.

"Likes" are in the actions. To proceed to buy th..."

☺☺☺