Sammi's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

6220864
Aug 04, 12

bookshelves: dysfunction, fiction, quirky, sad-fiction, ya, given-away
Read from July 31 to August 04, 2012

I remember watching The Virgin Suicides when I was younger... a few years back. Though, I remember I liked it - I couldn't funny remember what happened in it. Which, I suppose is a good start as it makes the book practically new.

I read Eugenides's Middlesex before this one, too. Which a lot of people say is a mistake as 'The Virgin Suicides' is supposedly not as good.
For me, however, I enjoyed the Virgin Suicides more than Middlesex. But although there are some small things in both books that are similar, they are too different to be compared in this way, I feel.

The Virgin Suicides is about five sisters; the Libsen sisters, and their short but different lives. The story is told in the view of the neighborhood boys who were infatuated with the girls which gives is a refreshing point of view and I think makes the story a lot more beautiful and completely add's to the shrouded mystery of the girls lives.

The story is beautifully written, and you read it so, just as if you are remembering with the boys - as if, for example, that you are dreaming it. It adds a cloudyness to the lives of the girls. It's also brilliant in the way which the boys sop desperately want to penetrate the girls lives, and you as the reader feel the same way.
We as readers are just as out of reach of the girls as they are, which is frustrating but in the best way.
That is the only way I can explain my reading of this book.

I think for a lot of people this style of writing is too frustrating, but for me... I have never read anything like it, if just for the prose.

A brilliant piece of writing, and a sad story.

It makes me want to re-watch the film, though I know it won't live up to expectations.

I give this book a 5, and recommend it to anyone wanting to read something different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

07/31/2012 page 45