Inoli's Reviews > Touch

Touch by Alexi Zentner

Oct 13, 11

bookshelves: do-not-own-yet, eerie-fascinating_presence-affectin, historical-fiction, magical-realism
Read from September 27 to October 11, 2011

Excellent protrayal of what it must have been like for the first of the European immigrants to move to the further reaches of Western Canada during the times of the several gold rushes. It's not about the populating of the land. It's not about the finding of gold. It's more about the relationship of three generations of a family with an extremely harsh, deadly environment and the spirits and creatures of an unknown land. It's a very original style of telling that I have a hard time classifying. It has elements of paranormal or perhaps fantasy or perhaps myth or perhaps one of a couple other categories but I didn't feel like it fit anywhere. Those elements were important parts of the telling and important parts of the lives of the people but they weren't focal points at all. They also didn't seem so paranormal or fantastical in context. They seemed more a true part of the history. I had a hard time eventually even considering them as myth. I'm considering this as pure historical fiction = and one of the most interesting that I've read. This is going to be reread and that's going to happen when I can read it straight through in a day or two. Two thirds of the way through I was regretting having had to take too many breaks during the reading and stretching it out to over a week. Something about it seems to require remaining more continually immersed in the story.

Anyone interested in or studying the earliest expansion west of the European immigrants on this continent has to read this to get an amazing feel for the realities of the time and place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch.

09/28/2011 page 38
13.0% "Elisabeth, I think this will turn out to be a perfect recommendation for me on several levels."
09/30/2011 page 125
43.0% "Very different type of narrative. It has taken me a third of the book to get a feel for how to read it."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elisabeth W.  Rauch I think you'll really enjoy this. Pick it up soon! I'd love to talk about it with someone.

Inoli I have to keep this very short. The hardest part of a hard week is beginning and I have to get some sleep. I was at the library this morning and I'll have this in 2 weeks at the most. I might have been able to get it a few days sooner but I'll fill you in on that this weekend. I'm looking forward to reading it and talking about it along the way through. I also have a book that I must tell you about. I haven't even read it yet but I would buy it for the concept and title alone. I can't stop smiling over it.