Lexy Harper's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

Sep 06, 2011

bookshelves: my-five-star-rated
Read in September, 2011

In a word ... wonderful!

Though I love literary fiction, I tend of avoid it because it connects to the melancholia inside me. But some books are just too irresistible to ignore. I made the mistake of downloading a sample of this book when I noticed the way it was shooting up the Kindle bestseller chart. Almost from the first word I knew that I had to buy the book. I lay in bed this morning and read it in one sitting...sublime!

In a strange way The Mill River Recluse reminds me of one of my favourite albums: Norah Jones's Come Away With Me with its quiet elegance. I think it has the potential of becoming a great classic. It's very, very good but not perfect - occasionally the transitions between sentences were a little jerky and pulled me back from my total absorption, reminding me that I was reading a book and not a part of Mary McAllister's world. The book is well edited, but in the hands of an experienced editor who would give it the tiny tweaks it needs, it could become a masterpiece.

I commend Ms Chan on her beautiful debut novel and hope to read many more by her in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.