Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe

Aug 22, 14

bookshelves: humour, europe
Recommended to Kathleen by: Rupert
Read from September 04 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

This book was written 20 years ago (oh, how peculiar that feels to say - my first thought was, "1991 - Oh, that's not long ago!" lol (at least I'm with the times in my expression of laughter - NO ONE says Ha Ha Ha anymore)) and it would be interesting to have a flying visit to the places Bryson visits here, just to see if they have further deteriorated or whether some places have pulled their socks up and treasured their archaeology, etc. And of course, in 20 years there have been many changes in the politics of a lot of these places, so we could well find differences.

Anyway, as it's highly unlikely that I'll ever get to Europe, it really doesn't matter if what I'm reading is out of date. Bryson is laugh-out-loud funny, and also makes great social comment. On top of that, his reminiscences along the way, and his wry personal commentary, make great reading.

I finished this book on the train today going to meet a friend for lunch, and immediately loaned it to her. She used to be a Travel Agent. She read a couple of snippets and thought she'd enjoy it greatly. I'm surprised she hadn't read Bryson before, but I'm sure she'll look out some others after this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neither Here nor There.