Julz's Reviews > Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity

Whipping Girl by Julia Serano

F_50x66
May 24, 12

Great white lady points on how patriarchal culture is associated with trans women hate. Julia did that thing, however, where she sort of speaks for "all" trans women and even some cis femmes. I did not finish the whole book so I do not know if she covers trans male femininity, but then again, that is not her experience so I hope she did not cover that. I actually talked to more than a few trans women who quote un-quote "hate" Julia Serano for her platform views, while others LOVE her. As a cis femme-raised, now trans manish femme, I found her necessary for understanding the basics of internalized misogyny and its relation to how we are able to express ourselves, but if I remember correctly, there was some biodeterminism going on...heavily; and coming off with a "universal" tone, this is problematic, as I do not see the "born this way" argument as necessary for justification for all of us to live out our (possibly morphing) identities. Although her immature, preachy, universal tone is a little grating, her points are priceless, and anger is more than understandable. However, she definitely privileges from her white identity (which somehow goes amiss in this discussion on gender violence, even though trans women of color face more backlash. Hmm...) But just read it knowing its the first step to recognizing trans/femme hatred and its link to a systemic, patriarchal force, if you did not already sort of learn it through life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whipping Girl.