Holjo's Reviews > After the Storm

After the Storm by Tia Isabella

Sep 05, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Maya Jones lives in present day Florida. She is an anthropologist who has been assigned to study ancient relics belonging to a Scottish clan that were recently unearthed. The more she studies the relics, the more Maya is drawn to the fierce Laird of the castle and his mysterious wife, Lady M.

While Maya’s professional life has been successful and exciting to her, her personal life has been a mess. Orphaned at a young age, Maya’s “family” is her best friend Sara and Sara’s father. After having her heart broken by a cheating Ex, Maya has found it difficult to trust men, and she has little desire to open herself up to the possibility. As a result, she sticks close to her adopted family and focuses most of her time and effort on her work.

Maya and Sara decide to take a break from their research to attend a hurricane party being hosted by a friend. Unfortunately, the party forces Maya to come face to face with her cheating Ex. The resulting confrontation leads Maya and Sara to the beach. As an unusual cloud approaches them from the storm, they suddenly find themselves keening through space and time. When they open their eyes, they are in a whole new world; Maya and Sara are in ancient Scotland, on the land of Laird Thomas MacGregor – the very man they have been studying.

The MacGregor clan doesn’t know what to make of the two beautiful women who have appeared before them, but slowly the truth begins to unfold. Thomas isn’t any more trusting than Maya is, but these two characters develop a love-hate relationship almost immediately. As much as they infuriate each other, they can’t seem to stay away from each other. Can true love be found between two people who are so different from each other?

Eventually it becomes necessary for someone to travel back to the future, and Thomas has no intention of allowing Maya to be the one to leave. The result is an adventure for other characters in the book, and all of the lines are drawn to permanently tie the past and future together.

This is the first full length novel I’ve read by Jaid Black. Although I’m a big fan of her writing, I’ve read only short stories and novellas up to this point. I was really glad to finally be able to read something that didn’t end too quickly! At almost 400 pages, this story had plenty of content. I was thrilled! The result is a story that has depth and adventure in addition to the romance. Unlike most romances, this story didn’t end when the couple gets together. Instead, we get to follow the characters through tests to their relationship and challenges to their clan. It was a really nice change of pace.

If I had one wish, I would wish for more information about the storm phenomenon that allowed the people to travel through time. I did think this area of the book could have used more explanation. Aside from this, I was pleased with the book.

Recommended for fans of Celtic/Highlander romances. Keep in mind that this book stands alone and is not currently part of a series.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Storm.