Axanna lucman's Reviews > Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities

Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

Sep 05, 2011

Read in September, 2011

** spoiler alert ** this book?..uhm, capital very unsettlingly disturbing, and at times fascinating because of its somewhat diagnosis, dissociative identity and multiple personalities of Sybil Dorsett. this book is a classic mother of a tragic(horror) childhood memoir..found it in my moms stacked of classic book collections at home....I'm not sure how sold I am on the "split personality" theory but the mind has to find a way to survive and maybe this is the way it does. This is my second time reading it. I had forgotten much of it since I'd read it at least 2 years ago. The descriptions of the abuse affected me much more this time, though I'm not sure why. The things her mother did to her were beyond inhumane.I was thoroughly disturbed for a night..I had to take a few stops to get my head around certain things.I enjoyed the book but found it hard to read,the writing is, at times, kind of embarrassing but for the most part this is a book that completely draws you in..you can hate it and you can love it at the same time. this book would open your mind to the many complexities of the human mind that we may never know fully. well..basically, its a sad sad grotesque story. period and bow!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sybil.