Art Tad-y's Reviews > The Cheese and the Worms: The Cosmos of a Sixteenth-century Miller

The Cheese and the Worms by Carlo Ginzburg
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cheese and the Worms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Tell me about this book and let me know if you would recommend me reading this book.

message 2: by Art (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art Tad-y It is a very interesting portrayal of early modern Europe in regards of ecclesiastical hierarchy during that time. The story itself is set at the infant stage of the Protestant Reformation. The predominantly Catholic European landmass was experiences religious upheaval and this led the traditional church to be extremely harsh on religious heretics. The book does talk about these Protestant ideas but the main story circulates around the main character, Menochio. He is a lowly peasant who is accused of heresies against the church. What's interesting about Menochio's theological theory is that a majority of it is seemingly spontaneous with some beliefs taken from Protestantism and Catholicism. It's interesting to see how the Reformation trickled down the social hierarchy and how some can manipulate their beliefs along the way.

message 3: by Art (new) - rated it 5 stars

Art Tad-y Laura wrote: "Tell me about this book and let me know if you would recommend me reading this book."

Definitely a good book to read. It puts the Reformation in a different perspective.