Mimi Schweid's Reviews > Strange Angels

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

6219311
Dec 24, 13

Read on September 05, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Angels.

Quotes Mimi Liked

Lilith Saintcrow
“Better to be strong than pretty and useless.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“I guess since the groin is the center of a guy's world, he rarely guesses it isn't the center of yours.”

Lili St. Crow
“You're not dead. You're too goddamn annoying to be dead.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“His shoulder bumped mine again. "Can I ask you something?"

I didn't answer. He was going to ask me anyway. People don't say that if they don't want to pry something out of you.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Jesus, you've got a death wish."
"Right now I have a bathroom-and-sleep-somewhere safe wish, kid.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“What do you say when someone takes on a really bad ass, murdering sucker for you? There just aren't words for that.”

Lili St. Crow
“When you're wrecked, that's the only thing you can do, right? Hold on to whatever you can. Hold on hard.”

Lili St. Crow
“Did you feel me up when you were tying me down?"
"Um, no. Did you want me to?"
"Well, it would have been nice.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Hello, Officer? Can you help me? My dad got turned into a zombie. You know, we’ve been travelling around getting rid of things that aren’t real, and this time they hit back. I really need someplace to stay – but can you make sure I have some holy water or something wherever it is? And some silver-jacketed bullets? That’d be sweet. Yeah, that’d be totally cool. Thanks. And while you’re at it, can you tell the guys with the straitjackets that I’m really sane? That would help.”

Lili St. Crow
“Why can't I have a normal girlfriend?" he asked the air over his head. "I finally meet someone I like and she turns out to be crazy.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“People don’t really want to know anything about you. They just want you to fit into their little predetermined slots.

They decide what you are in the first two seconds, and they only get nervous or upset if you don’t live up to their snap judgments.”

Lili St. Crow
“I've been bitten, beat up, tied to a bed, James Bonded out, and now you finish off by choking a goddamn teacher!”

Lili St. Crow
“It's dangerous and dirty and smells bad and--"
"Yeah, well, so is sex and drugs and everything else worth doing.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“The smell of apple pies didn't quite fill the house, but it was there, a thread under everything else. It was kind of hard to take Christophe seriously when he smelled like baked goods. I wondered if other djampjir smelled like Hostess Twinkies and sniggered to myself.”

Lili St. Crow
“I searched for something witty to say, settled for bare honesty. "I want to pee.”

Lili St. Crow
“No problem. First one's free.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“He hadn't told me everything, but I'd left him for dead. I guess we were just about even.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“I got a washed out version of Mom’s curls and a better copy of Dad’s blue eyes, The rest of me, I guess, is up for grabs. Except maybe Gran’s nose, but she could have been trying to make me feel better. I’m no prize. Most girls go through a gawky stage, but I’m beginning to think mine will be a lifelong thing. It doesn’t bother me too much. Better to be strong than pretty and useless. I’ll take a plain girl with her head screwed on right over a cheerleader any day.”

Lili St. Crow
“... I'd already shot a zombie. Maybe this smartmouth blue-eyed apple-pie boy would be next.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Boys always get the best eyelashes; it's like some kind of cosmic law. And half-breed kids get some kind of extra help there from genetics, too.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Would I be as strong as that once I did that thing Christophe was talking about? Blooming? Would I smell like a bakery item? Or was that just him? Did he use pie filling for cologne?”

Lili St. Crow
“Come on. Keep moving. Your lips are turning blue."
"Keep my lips out of this.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“I thought I'd pay you a visit, my dear. Since you're so interesting."

My mouth shifted into high gear, leaving my brain behind. "You know, you're the second guy in a few days to call me that. You should be more creative.”

Lili St. Crow
“I even poured him a glass of milk.
Call me domestic.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Graves scooched a little closer to me, and I didn't even think about it. I put my arms around him and hugged. I didn't care if it hurt my arm and my ribs and my neck and pretty much every other part of me, my heart most of all. When you're wrecked, that's the only thing to do, right? Hold onto whatever you can. Hold on hard.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“And now here he was in my kitchen. Smelling like apple pies and looking at me with a direct seriousness that made him even cuter. The bruising spreading up the side of his face had halted, and under it he was very pretty. Not jock-pretty, or the hurtful kind of pretty that tells you a guy is too busy taking care of his royal self to think about you.”

“Dru Anderson: Thanks.
Graves: No problem. First one’s free. Look, you really can’t go home? What happened.
Dru Anderson: You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.
Graves: Try me.
Dru Anderson: I just can’t go home, not until tomorrow.
Graves:Do you need a place to sleep?
Dru Anderson: I’ll find somewhere.
Graves: I know a place.
Dru Anderson: Why is it there’s always a guy who thinks he can get something out of the new girl? Every goddamn town, it’s the same thing. Some guy thinks he’s God’s gift to the displaced.
Graves: I just asked if you wanted a place to sleep, Jesus.
Dru Anderson: Sorry.
Graves: No problem. So, I’ll take you someplace you can sleep tonight. Someplace safe. Okay?
Dru Anderson: How much?
Graves: I keep telling you, first one’s free. You want to play some air hockey? Good way to get your mind off stuff.
Dru Anderson: Sure.
Graves: Cool. You finished?
Dru Anderson: Yeah, I guess. Graves?
Graves: Huh?
Dru Anderson: Thanks. Nice gloves.
Graves: Hey, you know. Chicks dig guys in gloves.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Graves: It’s going to snow.
Dru Anderson: Thanks for the warning.
Graves: Hey, no problem. First one’s free.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“He stared at his hot chocolate like it held the secret to the universe.”

Lili St. Crow
“Little pig, little pig, let me in.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“That's the funny thing about old hurts- they just wait for new heartache to come along and then show up, just as sharp and horrible as the first day you woke up with the world changed all around you.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“I went to the entrance to the restroom, where the hallway did a sharp bend so nobody could peek into the girls' pee-palace.”

Lili St. Crow
“A Zombie. Okay. Whew. All right.”

Lili St. Crow
“His undies had ridden up into the crack of his narrow ass, of which I was treated to a full view of as he turned and tried to go as quietly as possible up the stairs.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Other dads actually sat at the dinner table. Mine left me a fifty and a reminder to do my goddamn katas.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“I’m probably the only sixteen-year-old girl in a three hundred mile radius who knows how to distinguish between a poltergeist from an actual ghost (hint: If you can disrupt it with nitric acid, or if it throws new crap at you every time, it’s a poltergeist), or how to tell if a medium’s real or faking it (poke ‘em with a true iron needle). I know the six signs of a good occult store (Number One is the proprietor bolts the door before talking about Real Business) and the four things you never do when you’re in a bar with other people who know about the darker side of the world (don’t look weak). I know how to access public information and talk my way around clerks in courthouses (a smile and the right clothing will work wonders). I also know how to hack into newspaper files, police reports, and some kinds of government databases (primary rule: Don’t get caught. Duh).”

Lilith Saintcrow
“How had I managed to tie my boots? I didn’t even remember getting dressed. I was out here in public at the mall. What was I wearing? Jeans. I could feel socks. I had my boots on. I plucked at the edge of my t-shirt and saw it was red. I was wearing Dad’s spare Army jacket, and there was a heavy weight in the right pocket that had to be something deadly.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Hi. I’m Dru Anderson. My father went way-out wack after my mom died and now he travels around hunting things that go bump in the night, killing things you can only find in fairytales and ghost stories. I help him out when I can, but most of the time I’m deadweight, even though I can tell you where anything inhuman in this town is likely to hang out. I’m skipping school because I won’t be here in another three months. None of it goddamn well matters.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Dru Anderson: You should wear some gloves.
Graves: Ruins the image.
Dru Anderson: You’ll goddamn well freeze to death.
Graves: Hey, we’ve got to suffer for beauty. Chicks don’t go for guys in gloves.
Dru Anderson: How would you know?
Graves: I know. You never said if you liked shooting pool.
Dru Anderson: I don’t, but I’ll beat your ass at it, okay?
Graves: Fine. If you can. Dru.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Zombies smell worse than anything you can imagine if you haven’t been hunting things on the dark side of the world. It’s a ripe, gassy odour, like rotting eggs and meat gone bad, crawling blind with maggots. It’s road kill and decayed food and body odour all rolled into one package and tied up with puke.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“His eyebrows drew together. He was perilously close to unibrow; I guess nobody had held him down and administered a good plucking to the caterpillar climbing across his forehead.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“Graves: Are you skipping? Off to a good start.
Dru Anderson: I don’t want to deal with it today.
Graves: Okay. I know a place to go. You shoot pool? I’m Graves.
Dru Anderson: I know. Dru.
Graves: Dru. You’re new. Couple of weeks, right? Welcome to Foley.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“There was a zombie at my back door. Its eyes swung up, and they were blue, the whites already clouding with the egg rot of death. Its jaw a mess of meat and frozen blood; something had eaten half its face. Its fingertips already worn down to bony nubs, scraped against the window. Flesh hung in strips from it’s hand, and my stomach turned over hard. Black mist rose at the corners of my vision, and the funny rushing sound in my head sounded like a jet plane taking off. I’d know that zombie anywhere. Even if he was dead and mangled, his eyes were the same. Blue as winter ice, fringed with pale lashes.”

Lilith Saintcrow
“To my everlasting relief, he’d also stopped with the starch a few years back . The military made him big on spray starch, but I point-blank refused to touch the stuff after a while. He finally gave up doing it himself, and I manfully restrained myself from pointing out that the world didn’t explode when he did. And they say maturity is just for adults.”

Lili St. Crow
“I'm here to help you, fucking morons.

Lili St. Crow
“Amazingly, he smiled at me. "You're bossy." His pupils were still huge, but a little color had begun to come back into his face, especially along his cheekbones. "I like bossy chicks.”

Lili St. Crow
“Sonofabitch answer me!" My voice bounced off the walls, made the whole room whirls around me. My blood pounded in my ears. Adreline poured through my blood, copper winding me tighter and tighter.
"YES!" he screamed back "yes. i am a fucking virgin, don't shoot me goddammit fucking please!”

Lili St. Crow
“I rubbed at my temple, where the zit was gone. It still hurt a little , though, deep under the skin. I hate those zits that burrow underground. You think they've vanished, but no, they just barricade themselves right next to the bone and hurt.”

Lili St. Crow
“Fury ignited behind my breastbone , a hot glow like coals blooming into something sharp and dangerous. It was the same old crap- someone thinking they can push you around because you're young, because you're helpless. You had to just sit there and take it because you were under a certain number , because you weren't a real person yet; you could be picked up and dropped like a toy, left behind or thrown away...”

Lilith Saintcrow
“It was stealing her breath, imbecile. Go get a towel." -Christophe, Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow”