Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Okay, so I read this book when I was ... 15? So, that was almost four years ago. When I reviewed it, I was a bit of an idiot. (Or, a lot of an idiot.) My review consisted of a lot of exclamation points and OMG's and rather stupid statements like, "STEPHENIE MEYER IS LYK DA BEST WRITER EVAHHH." And yet, as idiotic as I sounded, this is my third most-liked review (probably because it's such a popular book, and probably everyone who "liked" it was also a 15-year-old who couldn't punctuate and who thought Stephenie Meyer is "da best writer evah".) So, needless to say, for a while this review's existence bothered me because it really didn't say anything intelligent. Also the comments on it were rather hostile, soooo I'm deleting those too and just starting with a clean slate here. In fact, I'm hoping to do the same thing with a lot of my reviews because so many of them are an eyesore to me (and make me look terribly stupid). I don't know why I used to be so lazy with capitalization/spelling because it drives me absolutely nuts now.

Anyway, on to reviewing. Although like I said, it's been a few years, so I don't remember a ton. I haven't re-read it since that first time, so maybe I would feel differently about it nowadays. But I remember really enjoying it.

Yes, it had its flaws, as all books do. It was a bit slow starting out, but I got hooked after the first 100 pages or so. The alien-takeover premise isn't terribly original, but I do love possession and mind control. Also, Wanderer was a rather obnoxious main character. Not as pathetic as Bella of the Twilight series, but she was rather unrealistically self-sacrificing. Then of course, there's Meyer's writing style, which isn't the most awesome thing ever. Although I thought she improved with this book. It was definitely better than Twilight.

However, these issues didn't take too much away from my enjoyment of the book. I liked the characters besides Wanderer ... except Jared. What an a-hole. The story was exciting, and it addressed some interesting ideas about what makes us human. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, but this one was interesting––especially since Wanderer and Melanie are essentially two people trapped in one body, and so struggle with the issue of having separate love interests. (view spoiler)

I also liked the ending. I didn't know how on earth it was supposed to come to a conclusion, and I liked that it came to a happy-but-not-perfect ending.

Anyway, I do wish Meyer would write the sequel to this instead of writing rather pointless things like The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide. Not really sure what would happen in the second book, but it interested me a lot more than Twilight did, so ... ARGH.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

Wesley I completely agree. This was a fantastic book. I get the $$$ gravy train that Twilight has brought to her and her family. I'd probably ride it out too. I see after the movies getting all done, that this project is finished. I hope so anyways. I guess we can sort of appreciate the lack of conflict of interest. I mean she could have cranked them out during this Twilight fiasco and ruined it. Hopefully they will be just as wonderful as book 1. I really can't wait though for book 2. Might I say a fantastic review as always.

Seth Fantastic review. I love it, and I love this book.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thank you both for your comments!

Wesley - That's true. I understand she was in the midst of writing Twilight books and that has obviously brought her a lot more success. Hopefully now that all the books are out and everything, she can put more effort into writing the Host books. :)

Wesley Yeah, I can't believe it's been this long of a time since the "The Host" came out. Crazy stuff.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I know, right? And the second one still isn't coming out until next year! That's four years between books! :P

natalie Hi, I loved your review, and completely agree aside from one thing: Wanderer is "unrealistically self-sacrificing" if you think of her as a human. Obviously, she isn't which is why it isn't a flaw (in my opinion) for her to be self-sacrificing. I think it fits with Meyer's characterization of the species. I understand your point, though, because it makes "Wanderer the character" harder to relate to and thereby might detract from the story for some. I'm interested in what you think, and I'll repeat that your review shows a lot of insight.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Thanks for the comment, Natalie. :) Yes, I understand Wanderer is not technically human and that she is really an alien––but she does feel human emotions and pain, so her self-sacrificing nature still makes her a bit of a Mary Sue in my mind. That is, characters need to have flaws; in my opinion, that means they have to have a certain trait that is harmful or hurtful to others in some way. But her "flaw" is that she goes out of her way to put herself in danger to save others ... which I don't think is a flaw at all. So even if it's part of the species, it doesn't help as much to develop Wanderer as a character, as you said.

natalie I agree with everything that you're saying--almost. It's hard to explain my opinion, but I think what I'm thinking is that she's supposed to be a Mary Sue, that the fact that she's a Mary Sue is what's so unique about the book-- that the author has introduced a Mary Sue in the midst of us mere humans. Gah. I don't know if I can say what I'm thinking well enough, so I'll leave it at that. Am I explaining this well enough?

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* lol! No, I see what you mean. What I'm saying is, I understand that she's "supposed" to be a Mary Sue in a way. And from that perspective, Stephenie Meyer succeeds in her intentions. I'm just saying that, although I understand that's supposed to be her nature, I find it makes it hard to connect with her as a character.

natalie Gotcha :) I think that that's true for any reader of the Host, although I love reading from her perspective because it's almost impossible (for me) not to connect to her since she has such vivid emotions.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert I hated the book, but for some reason really found myself liking the review :)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha! Guess that's a sign I'm a good reviewer then. :P

message 13: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert Sure does!

message 14: by Kishon.t (new)

Kishon.t O.

message 15: by Rolando.c (new)

Rolando.c oh ?

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: *Pokes* Are you psyched for the movie? O.o

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Hmm ... I don't know. I'm not sure how it will translate into a movie. Guess we'll have to wait and see. >.<

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: I know how you feel but i'm confident it'll be good. especially since we have an much more professional crew than the first Twilight did.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yeah ... I looked up the casting and it seems all right. I'm not really sure how they'll make it work, but it should be interesting to see. :)

Linny "... except Jared. What an a-hole." Amen to that. I also agree about what you say in your little spoiler. Great review! I too hope Meyer would continue this great series instead of wasting more time on the Twilight franchise..

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Indeed ... Well, I've heard she is writing sequels, although I'm not sure when the second one is supposed to come out. :P

Brandy Sequels? Damn! I've got to reread this one before then. :)

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: "...I'm hoping to get a little writing done at the same time, but writing on set has proved an elusive goal for me in the past year. I'm looking forward to this May, when I will officially be home for good and back here at my computer where I like to be best."

Source

I'm positive she's writing right now.

message 26: by Linny (last edited May 15, 2012 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linny Do you know where exactly it says that on the page? I just want to read it with my own eyes! :D SOO happy!!

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: Linny wrote: "Do you know where exactly it says that on the page? I just want to read it with my own eyes! :D SOO happy!!"

At the end of her February 11, 2012 update.

message 28: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy H Great review! As with everyone else, I agree with you almost entirely & find this to be quite delightful. I probably need to re-read it before I make any comments though, since I've probably forgotten most of the book.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I also need to re-read it ... It's been quite a while.

*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•* I was so excited to learn that they're making this book into a movie! The release date is March 29th 2013! Can't wait!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Ooh, is it that soon? Cool! I'm not sure what to expect from the movie ... I do like Saoirse Ronan, so I think it could be good. :)

message 32: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana Lopez Good review,

message 33: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena "Anyway, I do wish Meyer would write the sequel to this instead of writing rather pointless things like The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide."

I completely agree. I have been waiting to read the second book for the past few years.

message 34: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben I enjoyed the book and your review. If you have any info on the sequels pls feel free to share! :)

message 35: by Rue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rue Flying kick a pow!
I UNDERSTAND YOUR REFERENCE!
(I think.... If your not referencing anything this is really awkward)
Great review!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha it's a reference to Avatar: The Last Airbender ... so if that's what you thought, you're correct. ;) And thanks!

message 37: by Rue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rue I was right! Haha

Celia Jones I didn't read the comments made so if I'm repeating Im perfectly ok with that. I personally think this review is spot on in that it not only separates and compares the authors writing style as well as her creativity as well as bringing the two together to conclude. Thank you. Had I read this before initially starting the book I probably would stuck through til the end sooner than later. Most reviews just an individuals emotional response and aren't this honest so I don't generally read them. Thanks again.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* No problem! I'm glad you liked the review. :)

message 41: by Damon (new)

Damon Ward I hate to be the person ruining a generally good atmosphere, but I'm afraid I have a few problems with this review, though you've no reason to address them if you're satisfied with how you've done.
Firstly, I find it a bit foolhardy (seeing as how I've done it myself)to review something you haven't read in a while. Even a few months open way for errors, so one can guess the weight several years can carry.
Second, (and lastly considering my tendency for verbosity) your score for this. I understand that you weren't particularly bothered by the things you pointed out, (which may seem a bit contradictory to some people) but do you suppose those flaws should subtract from the score? If we suggest that a 5 out of 5 is equivalently perfection, then shouldn't any glaring flaw detract from this perfection?

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Well, I'd originally written another review for this when I first read the book that was ... less coherent. This was mostly an edit of that review just to make it less cringe-worthy in terms of grammar, punctuation, etc. and to add in a bit more criticism since the original was just ... crazy fangirling.

Yet, a lot of people were giving it "likes" despite how badly it was written, so I figured I might as well replace the old review with something that was at least more readable.

As for the rating, I've considered changing it but I'm not sure what I would change it to. I don't think I could really give it a fair rating unless I re-read the book. So, part of the reason why I've just left it at the original 5 stars I gave it is because I'm indecisive about it.

In addition, I suppose it's different for every reviewer, but 5 stars does not equal absolute perfection for me. I don't think I've ever read a book that I consider perfect. I find glaring flaws in pretty much everything I read, even some of my favorite books. All books have their flaws, but that doesn't necessarily take away from my enjoyment of the book.

So ... no, this isn't a very good review and I may adjust it in the future. But if you wanted an explanation, there it is.

message 43: by Damon (new)

Damon Ward Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Well, I'd originally written another review for this when I first read the book that was ... less coherent. This was mostly an edit of that review just to make it less cringe-worthy in terms of gra..."
An explanation was certainly not what I wanted, but I do appreciate it. I find even the slightest bit of insight worth seeking, and I am grateful when I get insight without seeking it. That said, I see where you're coming from with why you left it with five stars, and I would agree that revoking a 5/5 for something that's good because of a few flaws is unsavory to say the least. It is a mentality I carry over from the review I mentioned, on the site I wrote it for, 10 is the maximum you can give, and as such I am careful to avoid handing out the maximum in most cases. A 10 star rating system mentality does not convert well to a 5 star rating mentality.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I mean, you did ask, so I assumed you wanted me to explain. :P

And yeah, I'm a bigger fan of the 10-star rating system than the 5-star one. 5 stars doesn't give much of a range, and I often feel like taking away one star is giving too little, and adding a star is giving too much.

message 45: by Layton (new)

Layton Have you seen the film of this yet? It's so cheesy, it's ridiculous. I still might give the book a go just to see how it compares.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* No, I haven't. I've heard that it's not very good, so I'm not sure about whether or not I want to go see it. Maybe when it's on DVD or something. :P

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: It's not bad, It's just so condensed and a lot got cut out/changed.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I see. That's pretty understandable since the book is so long ...

.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Tomas Vrbada Like Woe × ¨*: I thought the same, though there's an lack of character development.

*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•* Loved the book, and loved the movie :)

« previous 1