Scarlet's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction, friendship, family, life, journey, african-american, contemporary-realistic-fiction, informational, chapter, own, death
Read in August, 2011

Set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962, The Help, is about a young, white, woman named Skeeter, who despite the fact that her mother wants her to get married rather than work a job, would rather work a job than get married. Taking the advice of a New York editor Skeeter sets out to write something that is far from the ordinary, everyday, published writings. Determined to get the reality of the black maid’s everyday life across their white employers and to whites in general, Skeeter decides to write a book from the stories of the maids. Aibileen is the maid of Skeeter’s good friend, Elizabeth, and is the only maid that Skeeter asks to help her write the book by telling her stories and Minny is the maid to Skeeter’s best friend, Helen, that after several attempts from Aibileen decides that she wants her stories told too. Knowing that this is a huge risk and the consequences could mean death the ladies write the book and together discover that what they thought was going to be a small impact, if any at all, would turn out to be a large, country wide, impact and that their lives would be changed forever.

I choose to shelve this book as historical fiction because I believe that, despite the fact that there really wasn’t a book published about actual maids in Mississippi in 1962, the way that the maids felt and the things that happened could be true and more than likely did happen to several, if not most, black maids back in that time period. Although I believe that the events could be true I don’t think that I would use this book in the classroom. It just doesn’t seem to have an educational appeal to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.