Steph 's Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: arc, ala-2012, favorites-of-2012, read-in-2012, the-good-stuff, paranormal
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2012

Original review: http://www.poetrytoprose.com/?p=2054

Anna Dressed in Blood was fantastically spooky so I was very eager to get my read on with Kendare Blake’s sequel, Girl of Nightmares. It’s hard to say which book I liked more, but I can definitely say that Girl of Nightmares was just as creepy and fun as the first book.

First up: Cas, I missed you! Kendare Blake continued to write his character with such an authentic teenage boy voice. He’s snarky, dramatic, and he curses -- A LOT. I’ve been in one of those weird reading funks again, but it was so easy to get caught up in Cas’s adventures because his character is so charismatic.

Along with Cas, Carmel and Thomas were great to see again. This trio continued to have several hilarious moments that had me laughing late into the night, but I also came to appreciate the depth of their friendship. They don’t deal with easy stuff and I really liked that Kendare Blake explored how difficult and straining that can be.

The main mystery of Girl of Nightmares was finding out where Anna went after the events in Anna Dressed in Blood. There is plenty of creepy between the two books, but I found Girl of Nightmares to be somewhat more unsettling because Cas deals with a lot of his fears internally. There are still several moments of “in your face” creepiness, though, so worry not if that’s what you’re looking forward to.

Finally, there’s the ending. Could Kendare Blake write a more brilliant conclusion? Maybe, but it’s hard to imagine because what she has already is so perfect. I’m going to miss these characters, but I am so in love with how their story wrapped. I’ll eagerly look forward to reading what Kendare Blake writes next.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.

Quotes Steph Liked

Kendare Blake
“What?" she asks, but I don't answer. Instead I kiss her, one time, and try to tell her in that single gesture everything that she'll forget as soon as she turns away. I tell her I love her. I tell her I'll miss her. And then I let her go.”
Kendare Blake, Girl of Nightmares