Kerri's Reviews > Instructions for a Broken Heart

Instructions for a Broken Heart by Kim Culbertson

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read in September, 2011

So, YA isn't really my thing. And in addition, books focusing on the journeys of soul-searching-women (girls in this case) aren't really my thing either. Don't get me started on Elizabeth Gilbert. But I read this even so, and enjoyed it all the way through. Kim has a knack for getting to and expressing the thoughts and motivations of kids this age, and emphasizing that there is more than meets the eye to all of them. If Jessa's personality quirks didn't remind me so much of myself at that age, I probably would have found her likable, but the musical-obsessed, slightly self-obsessed teenager definitely hit a cringe-nerve in terms of elements of my own personal teenage-hood that I don't think about too often. Had I read this at Jessa's age, I probably would have been more like, "OMG; that girl is totally just like me. How cool is that?! How cool is she?" At my curmudgeonly age, I just wanted to give her a good talking to and hand her a Dr. Dog CD. That said: solid plot, strong characters, witty dialogue, little twists and smart, non-condescending narrative make this an incredibly readable book, even for an old fart former drama nerd like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instructions for a Broken Heart.