Stephanie's Reviews > What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question

What Should I Do with My Life? by Po Bronson

F 50x66
Oct 04, 11

Read from September 05 to October 04, 2011

This is a strange book. It's fascinating because people are fascinating: I am a big fan of Studs Turkel and similar projects. But the way all the people's stories are filtered through Bronson--some of them are portrayed quite critically, in ways the interviewees would not appreciate--made me uncomfortable. There are lines that journalists and academics don't cross with their subjects, and while Bronson clearly develops a high level of trust with his interviewees that made them more frank, I can't help thinking that it's slightly unethical. He became buddies with his subjects, baring his soul to them, giving them advice and encouragement and his own analysis of their lives--his authority being that he is a regular guy who has suffered confusion and remorse. He also looks like a young Richard Gere, which probably helped people warm to him. But although he is not exactly professional, he clearly wants to help people, and maybe he does. I really like the variety of stories, and the fact that many people remain conflicted and confused: they're not all lawyers who gave it up to make goat cheese and are blissfully happy.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Should I Do with My Life?.

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Ratcliffe Hi Stephanie,
You mentioned in your comment that you're a fan of Studs Turkel and similar projects.
I too am a fan of Studs Turkels writings.
I just wondered if you can recommend any books of a similar nature?

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I enjoyed every story in Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It. I also really liked Gig, in which people talk about their jobs, and, less so, US: Americans Talk about Love. Happy reading!

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee Ratcliffe Thanks for the recommendations :)