Kerrie's Reviews > Fool

3202093
Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from May 28 to September 09, 2011

I really wanted to enjoy this one as much as Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal and You Suck, but I couldn't. The reader is warned that it's a "bawdy tale" but I'm no prude. The tribute that Moore is paying to British comedy is clear, but it did begin to pall about halfway through. (It's the same way that 40-Year-Old Virgin was about 45 minutes too long.) There were still some shining moments near the end, like when a character was described looking as if "a monkey had cum in his Wheetabix" but for the most part the humor began to be "hmmm" funny instead of "haha!" funny. If anything, this book has prompted me to actually want to read King Lear. Not that I want to see where Moore diverged from the story, but because my reading of the Great Bard is pretty abysmal.

I do have to give props to Euan Morton, the reader of this audiobook. His voices were totally consistent, and each voice was unique. Every female character was unique, and it was easy to keep track of who was who. And Drool, the "natural", was a wonderfully voiced character.

This negative experience hasn't soured me on Moore's work. I plan on reading all of his novels, and hope that this book is an anomaly of the snarky brilliance I enjoyed in You Suck.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool.

09/05/2011
60.0% "Picking this up again and hope to finish. The humor is starting to flag a bit. :(" 2 comments
09/08/2011
85.0% "Hopefully will finish this soon. Genuinely funny in fewer instances."
09/09/2011
90.0% "Well, that took a dark serious turn. I'm ready for this story to END."

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla I haven't read King Lear either, though it's up there on my must-read Shak-es-peer.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda King Lear was pretty good, though it can get a little confusing in the middle. Then there's the whole part about almost all of the characters dying one way or another. What a mess! It's a good one to read matched up with Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, and Othello. That set of four go well together.