Syd Markle's Reviews > A Room with a View

Jun 17, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: classic, movie, fiction
Read in August, 2005

I’ve just completed E.M. Forster’s A Room With A View.

Life is easy to chronicle, but bewildering to practice, and we welcome ‘nerves’ or any other shibboleth that will cloak our personal desire.

I wasn’t happy with the story in the beginning. And to be honest, the characters in this book drove me crazy with their stifling ways. It was frustrating to watch the scenes unfold with such comic tragedy made-up completely in their own heads. Then again, I believe that was the moral Forster was trying to convey.

I am happy it ended well with at least a bit of relief for the heroine. Kisses rather than old misses.

And there is more here I’d like to say about spinsters and feminism. It seems Lucy was using an early form of feminism to shield herself from love. But Old Emerson says to her near the end:

It isn’t possible to love and to part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal.

By his impassioned speech he convinces her to marry.
He gave her a sense of deities reconciled, a feeling that, in gaining the man she loved, she would gain something for the whole world.

And is it that simple that by love you can heal the indirectness of life? Perhaps. Perhaps the poets are correct. I won’t cloak it with my own muddled thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.