Gunslingerdog's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

ffffffuuuuuuu

NO BULLSHIT ROMANCE. HUZZAH!

Okay, it's a prison; but, for all I know, there might be a desert in it!

And perhaps it wasn't perfect (I'm looking at you, Claudia), but at least it didn't have much unresolved sexual tension. Thank god. I was getting sick of poorly-executed overdone not-interesting-anymore predicted-right-from-the-start love triangles. Or even the "WE'RE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER" scenarios.

Gag.

Instead, we have ourselves an adventure to get out from whatever you're doing, being a prisoner, off getting married, or otherwise. Mostly escaping that bitch of a prison, Incarceron. Seriously, what is its deal? What an ass.

So, you're a smartie called a Sapient (yay!). You want to create a prison which won't feel like a prison. Instead, it's its own little world all nice and happy and paradise-like and whatever. Whoo!

But you must have fucked up somewhere, because it is now, like, dark, damp, gritty, and full of crimes inside the prison.

Yeah. You fucked up.

Well, somewhat.

The characters from the prison were likable and realistic. They're all selfish in their own way (view spoiler).--- No, I take that back. Even Claudia was somewhat selfish, with her whole marriage thing. I just found her more annoying - though I did appreciate her intelligence and devotion to her teacher against the queen. You could tell that the prisoners have been ravaged by crime and theft for so long that they can only think of themselves eight times out of ten - with exception of possibly Finn and Attia. I could tell Finn didn't have the capacity to truly hate someone or something, or even show doubt in some cases (especially about Keiro). I would have liked to have read more into development with Attia, as she and Keiro were among my favorites. (Which is a surprise since I'm never on good terms with prideful people.)

I'm more than glad that Fisher did give more description to her characters than other authors without being overbearing. Kudos, man. It was pretty simple writing, not too purple or weak, and does give a clear image of what the key and other objects are supposed to look like.

It's an adventure. A bittersweet adventure, and I can't wait to read Sapphique.

My complaints about the book concerned the pacing and the Outside perspective. Because the story flips between Finn and Claudia, I had to hold back urges to skim through Claudia's portion and head back to Finn's. Her parts were definitely more passive and probably substituted for some downtime between all the action and suspense Finn's had. Hers were dipped in secret information and being confidential; and, I do like that stuff, but I was craving more for Finn's action portion of Incarceron. Along with the pacing, I sometimes got confused about what was happening. (view spoiler) Either I was reading too fast or the scenes were whizzing by that I couldn't comprehend. Either/or. I understand the pacing was necessary to understand the world of Incarceron better, having Claudia's bits on-hand, but I guess I'll always be partial for the action.

Again, development for Attia. Much appreciated.---

Oh! And overall about the book, there was no definition for the terms they threw about. Yes, since they live in this world, the characters would have no problem understanding each other, but I wish Fisher had put in a glossary or something for those that couldn't pick clearly what each term meant. (Because even the narrator used them in a casual manner, leaving me with many question marks floating above my head.)

P.S. Claudia, not a big fan of you. You seemed too uppity for my tastes. Or pristine. Something. Something about you irked me more than the rest. Thanks for reading.

I'm holding Sapphique at the library and still got four-five more books to read and a couple to return. Yay.(..)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.

09/08/2011 page 238