Dawn Teresa's Reviews > The Shunning

The Shunning by Beverly  Lewis

Sep 06, 2011

bookshelves: christian
Read from September 04 to 05, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shunning.

message 1: by Dawn Teresa (last edited Sep 10, 2011 07:33PM) (new) - added it

Dawn Teresa Originally posted on my blog, Read Love.

For years I have looked at and wondered about the Amish fiction of Beverly Lewis. Presented with the opportunity to review the DVD for the Hallmark Channel movie version of The Shunning -- coming soon -- I decided that the time had finally come to read the book. And I'm delighted to find that my reading experience was a pleasure!

Beverly Lewis was born in Pennsylvania Dutch country and dedicates The Shunning to her grandmother who left her Plain community. Lewis' interest in and respect for her Amish heritage is demonstrated in the novel. I enjoyed the author's smattering of Amish and German words and phrases throughout the text. And I also appreciated that the novel explains some Amish rituals and customs but never feels encyclopedic. Instead one feels transported to the small fictional community of Hickory Hollow in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

The novel is told in the third-person, but begins with a prologue written from the first-person perspective of the main character, Katie Lapp. From the start, I found it easy to care about Katie, whose voice and independent spirit comes through almost immediately. The community comes to life as we get to know Katie's family, her best-friend Mary, and several other friends, family members, and neighbors. The relationship between Katie and Mary is sweet, and there are some touching scenes between the two.

Katie has never found it easy being Plain. She loves Fancy things, color, and especially music, so she's always felt a little out of step with her friends and neighbors. And though she is kind-hearted and good, following the rules and customs of her community sometimes is a struggle. The Shunning allows the reader a chance to walk alongside Katie on her journey of self-discovery. We glimpse her wrestling with questions about her faith, her customs, her heart, and her destiny.

While the novel may not have a complex or unpredictable plot, it is an emotional book. And I found it rewarding to watch how characters responded as circumstances unfolded. As the title suggests, we learn about the practice of die Meinding or the Shunning. Lewis handles the difficult subject well, managing to question and spotlight the practice without casting too long or dark a shadow. This ensures that by the conclusion of the novel, readers are able to sympathize with both the outcast and the community who has averted its collective glance.

Unfortunately, the novel is incomplete in its resolution. A cliffhanger ending leaves us unsatisfied and wondering what kind of answers Katie will find on her journey. The ending does, however, motivate you to pick up the next installment in the series and read on! Though I'll have to wait on book two, I do look forward to viewing the film version of The Shunning starring Danielle Panabaker!