Tricia's Reviews > H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds

1924595
Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, science-fiction
Read in September, 2011

I read this right after finishing The War of the Worlds (in ebook and print, depending on whether or not we had electric lights that night!). Sometimes they were using direct quotes, but mostly it was adaptation. That was fine, except it wasn't clear when you were getting the brother's perspective. I understand that they would have to condense some of the storyline to fit within this format, but some of the timeline changes seemed unnecessary. On the positive side, much of the objectionable social darwinism attitude of Wells has been removed. Graphically, the story was wonderful. The use of color was very evocative of the mood (or setting) of the story. The red weed wasn't what I expected (not as curly as I'd imagined! or maybe I wanted intricate leaves?) but that is a minor quibble. My 13yo son initially objected to the tripods - he felt the neck joints were wrong, but after some time he decided they were okay.

After reading this, you owe it to yourself to read their Scarlet Traces - a mystery/thriller set (mostly) in London 10 years after The War of the Worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds.