Yulia's Reviews > When We Were Orphans

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro

Sep 10, 11

Read in September, 2011

I feel very conflicted about this novel. I was completely absorbed while reading it, though annoyed by an overly dramatic section 4/5th through and unsettled by the ending, but I think it may be a book I'll grow to be fonder of, once my uneasiness wears off. It certainly makes me wish to try another work of his. I suppose it succeeded in that regard. Bravo? I don't think I was as disappointed with it as I felt last night, certainly. 3.5 stars it is. . . Wait,no, it's gone up to five stars. I feel like the yadidulila Mountain Climber guy on "The Price is Right."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Were Orphans.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica It's a strange novel, but one of my favorites of his. Certainly any other of his is worth reading, though none is quite as bizarre. The Unconsoled is thoroughly dreamlike but has an internal logic. When We Were Orphans veered off in a completely unexpected direction for me.

Yulia Yes, I'm growing to love it already, the more I think of it. How odd that my reaction to it can change so quickly, but perhaps not surprising considering how unreliable the narrator is and how disoriented he can leave one feeling. Thanks for the recommendation: I'll try The Unconsoled next.

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Sep 10, 2011 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica I'm wary of recommending The Unconsoled, I used to recommend it and not one of my friends liked it. But...you can see. Another favorite of mine is A Pale View of Hills (one of his earliest) and of course, Never Let Me Go is good.

I am thinking I should reread this one. It's been some years and it's so...unpredictable. As a fiction writer myself, I think there's much to learn from Ishiguro.