Renee's Reviews > A Tale Dark & Grimm

F_50x66
Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: paw
Read in April, 2011

Summary: Follows Hansel and Gretel as they walk out of their own story and into eight more tales, encountering such wicked creatures as witches, along with kindly strangers and other helpful folk. Based in part on the Grimms' fairy tales Faithful Johannes, Hansel and Gretel, The seven ravens, Brother and sister, The robber bridegroom, and The devil and his three golden hairs.

This could also be titled The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. A great read that really incorporates some Grimm tales that I wasn't familiar with into a solid adventure story. The tile does not mislead and there were parts of the book that made me cringe. I would have given this book 5 stars if it wasn't for the author jumping into the narration at various points in the book (in bold) to warn the reader about gross parts coming up and trying to be funny before tense situations. It was a little too much at the beginning of the book and was bothering me. But it faded away as the book went on and I liked that. A group discussion about the book raised the question about whether that voice helped make the book more of a JF than a YA. If that voice wasn't in there, would it have been too dark and violent for younger readers. I am curious as to how young readers will react to this book, too scary or entertaining?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale Dark & Grimm.