Patricia's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read from September 05 to October 01, 2011

While listening to an interview with Alexander Fuller on NPR radio about her 2nd book, I remembered that I had Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood on my book shelf. I made a point of making it the next book I read. Ever since my daughter adopted twin boys from Liberia, I've been reading books from and about Africa and that's the reason I originally bought this book.

Fuller's story takes place in Rhodesia or what is now Zimbabwe. It's a unique perspective, for Fuller's parents were white farmers fairly deeply immersed in the belief that they rightfully belonged in this neck of the woods. What Fuller accomplishes in this book as an unapologetic, forthright story about her childhood in a war torn country where her parents were actually the intruders even if they did not see it this way. Fuller's honesty is poignant and textured with sorrow, joy, play and a touch of madness. She clearly loves the place where she was raised and sees with amazing clarity.

I look forward to reading her second book in which she goes back even further into her family's ties to Rhodesia by relating the stories of grandparents. Fuller is a crisp, insightful writer and wryly tongue-in-cheek.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.