Alicia's Reviews > The Clearing

The Clearing by Anne  Riley

Sep 05, 11

Grabbed this at the emerging writers table at the Decatur Book Fest, and finished it one day. Young adult fiction has been a weakness of mine for a while, and I was surprised by this book. It's a well written story about a 16-year-old girl who moves from Athens, Georgia to a boarding school in Maine after the tragic and untimely death of her parents. The novel doesn't fail to capture your attention, and you can hardly suppress yourself from flipping through the pages to find out what happens next. You should attempt to hold back your temptation because skipping pages leads you to miss out on events (a mistake I discovered firsthand), which is a testament to the writing. The only gripe I had was the lack of initiative the main character possessed, and I found myself comparing Natalie Watson to Twilight's Bella (and not in a positive light). The damsel in distress mantra felt a bit repetitive, and I found myself wanting Natalie to do something on her own on more than one occasion. That said, I'm excited to see what Anne Riley will produce in the future and hope to see her more often in the teen paranormal romance circuit.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clearing.