Alyssa's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

F 50x66
Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: english-420

This book is about the boy Ponyboy and his journey to understanding who he is. He is part of a group called the greasers, poorer kids, who are always in conflict with the socs, the richer kids of the city. Throughout the book Ponyboy learns about love and acceptance. As he journeys with his friend Johnny after a terrible crime is committed, Ponyboy begins to better understand that people are still people, whether they are greasers or socs. I personally enjoyed the novel. It is a realistic portrayal of Ponyboy's growth as an individual. I especially appreciated the ending of the work, which features real emotions and deep character development. By the end of the novel I think Ponyboy is finally able to understand who people are and what love is. My one major complaint is that there were moments in the work that seemed too obvious, such as the boys in the mustang obviously being the same ones that beat up Johnny as described earlier in the novel. I wish there had been more holes that could have been left open in order to provide for more interpretation. I realize, though, that for a younger audience it is unsurprising that many of the holes are filled in. Overall, the work is a powerful portrayal of the importance of acceptance and love, and I would recommend it, especially to middle school level students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.