Kinga's Reviews > The Prophecy of the Stones

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011-earlier
Recommended for: kids 9-12
Read in July, 2007 — I own a copy

I first read this when I was 10 or 11, and rather liked it (probably partly because it was written by a teen, and I also want to be an author), so much so that when I saw it available in the used book store I shop at frequently a year or two later, I bought it. When I googled the book to learn more about the author, I was pretty surprised to find out that it had mainly negative reviews.

For the intended audience of ages 9-12, it is certainly an entertaining read (for example, I loved the idea of Death going on strike), though not a very well-written one. When I re-read it at around age 12 or 13 though, I didn't like it as much. The characters are somewhat generic, and the plot isn't overly original. For younger kids, it's a great novel to read, but I quickly outgrew it.

I do think Flavia Bujor deserves some credit for completing a novel and managing to publish it at her age, but I know plenty of teens who have also written novels, many of which are much better than this one was. I'm not sure why this has gotten the attention it has or why it has been translated into different languages, because it is not the best book. If you want a better book written by a teen, try the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini or the Swordbird series by Nancy Yi Fan.

I would recommend it for ages 9-12 (though the 12 may be pushing it for some kids). An okay read.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophecy of the Stones.

06/22 marked as: read

Adriana The EXACT same thing happened to me! When I read it at 8, I thought it was brilliant. A few years later, and it was ok. On a whim I read it at 15, and I couldn't even finish it.

message 2: by Lauryn (new) - added it

Lauryn I feel exactly the same! I read the book when I was 10 or 11 and I absolutely loved it. I'm 13 going on 14 now and I'm rereading it to find it kind of shallow and not that well written. Oh well *shrugs