Janne Varvára's Reviews > Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar

Nov 07, 11

bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels
Read in November, 2011

In a corner of the apartment, the BF has a two meter by one and a half cardboard movie display showing Kick-Ass and Hit Girl. Too law-abiding to have thought of it himself, his naughty best friend stole the thing for him from the movie theatre, knowing how he loves Kick-Ass. They grabbed the thing and ran for it. Good stuff.

This was one of the comic books that was handed me by my BF, who knows I appreciate great stories and artwork. He hasn't been wrong yet, I loved it.

I'm usually not one for superheroes. And the thing is, Kick-Ass isn't really a superhero. Without any particular powers, he's just a kid inspired by comic books to put on a wet suit and attempt to fight crime. It doesn't go that well to begin with. And that makes for a believable and truly engaging story, with lots of brutality yet humour all the way.

And speaking of the brutality, it's very, very graphic. Downright nasty. However, the artwork is go good, that even the blood spatters make an almost elegant splat across the page, it really is beautifully excecuted.
And, reacing the end, where brave, little Hit Girl's father is dead, and a small, vulnerable girl emerges from the hardcore killing machine and asks for a hug, you realize that is has to be that bloody for that moment to be so moving, for it to have such an impact. I sobbed while the BF held my hand. And then, as Hit Girl was getting her revenge (and her macho talk) done, we both cheered out loud. It's a most satisfying comic book.

Wry humour, nice plot and storylines, stunning artwork. I loved it. And I now have a favorite superhero: Hit Girl.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kick-Ass.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Ramstead I loved the movie version.

Janne Varvára I'm planning to read the comic first, my other half swears it's better than the film. I started reading a few pages of this the other day, and laughed out loud, so I can't wait to read it all the way through! ...just gotta finish the other books I'm reading.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Ramstead I am going to get this book! Cool review!

Janne Varvára Please do! It's great stuff!

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Ramstead I will shop over my Birthday weekend, Dec 3rd. : ) I will get back to you...

Janne Varvára Cool, keep me posted how you like it!