Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Sep 17, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, 2011-reads, favorite
Recommended for: 18+; strong sexual content, light BDSM
Read from September 16 to 17, 2011 , read count: 1

Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades #2 by E.L. James is another stunner of an erotic romance book. It starts up where Fifty Shades of Grey ends. Anastasia Steele has broken up with Christian Grey because his demands were too overwhelming for her manage. Even though not much time has passed since their separation, they are both heart sick and make their way back to each other through Mr. Grey’s crafty machinations. Meanwhile, fresh out of college, Ana is trying to establish her career in the publishing industry.

The plot of this book takes Ms. Steele and, especially, Mr. Grey down a much more treacherous impassioned journey when it comes to opening up and laying bare a myriad of feelings compounding the confrontation of deep rooted emotional scars. As layers of Christian’s past are stripped away, Ana and Christian grow exponentially as a couple by learning to meet each others emotional needs, further entwining their already connected hearts together.

Reinforcing the plot are two women from Christian’s past who push Ana’s hot buttons which forces the couple to confront the outcome of Christian’s past predilections. Concurrently, Ana is having to contend with issues at work involving her boss and his questionable intentions towards her. The much needed comic relief comes in the form of Ana’s inner goddess and her subconscious that help her through her emotional ups and downs. Adding to the reader’s spectrum of emotion are the emails between Mr. Grey and Ms. Steele that cast poignancy and some additional humor to the story line.

This novel has Christian and Ana dealing with his past in a very “in -your- face” fashion that will have the reader cringing at moments from the emotional voracity, making the reader’s heart ache, and bring the reader to his/her knees. E.L. James’ ability to rent such feeling from the reader is extraordinary. Fifty Shades Darker is an all together different journey than it’s predecessor; however, it demands no less from the reader’s affections. If anything, it demands more. E.L. James offers readers a story that is unforgettable, stunning, passionate, sexy, needful, cathartic and glorious.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

09/12/2011
6.0% ""Let me ask you something first. Do you want a regular vanilla relationship with no kinky fuckery at all?" WTH? YES, I was kinky fuckery!!!" 2 comments
09/13/2011
13.0% "Oh goodie!! *claps hands* Fun with food! "oh f*cking my.""
09/14/2011
37.0% "Mr. Grey just flat cries out to my soul. What a tortured individual. I want to wrap my arms around him & then do lascivious things with him 50 ways from Sunday." 5 comments
09/15/2011
37.0% "I know I should read more; but, if I do then I will get closer to the end of the book. Then next book won't be out for months! Ach! My heart hurts just thinking about it!" 2 comments
09/16/2011
80.0% "The depth of feeling Ana & Christian have for each other is astounding. I am amazed & in awe of Ms. E.L. James talent as an author." 3 comments
09/16/2011
81.0% "mmmhmmm! Elevator wicked fuckery. Could I want Mr. Grey any more than I do? I think, yes, if he keeps this up." 1 comment
84.0% "Oh. No. No, no, no!" 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

_yay_ Lmao! One of my fave quotes :-)

Juliana Philippa _yay_ wrote: "Lmao! One of my fave quotes :-)"

Same! *grin*

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) Brought me to my knees. Great review!

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Thanks, Angela. I miss Mr. Grey everyday. Can't wait for January.... *le sigh*

message 5: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Owen A wonderful review. I feel chastened to even try and match it. I can't wait for January either.

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Thank you, Katherine. I look forward to reading your review.

message 3: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Owen Laurielu wrote: "Thank you, Katherine. I look forward to reading your review."

Hey thanks! I put it up, but I'm not sure how to direct you to it. Are we friends? I'll check it out.

Best!
Katherine Owen

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Katherine, I was able to read your review last night. I "liked" it. Your review was very succinct and well written. =)

message 1: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Owen Laurielu wrote: "Katherine, I was able to read your review last night. I "liked" it. Your review was very succinct and well written. =)"

Sorry, I saw that after I posted. Thanks!