Jasmine's Reviews > Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture

Generation X by Douglas Coupland

Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: canadian
Read from September 05 to 06, 2011

so, since I'm not going to get more interesting than I already was about this book, my review will simply be a reposting of my discussion of why this book is not a tao lin book from karen's group.

so I finished generation x and I like it but it wasn't what I was looking for here. It has a weird back to nature catcher in the rye thing going on, but much less annoying than catcher in the rye. I kind of see it as the anti-ellis I mean it's sort of a search for morality or goodness or something I feel like even with the vandalism or a search for place.

I don't see shoplifting from american apparel and eat when you feel sad like that. I think that these contain a conspicuous ambivalence and nihilism. I think with the coupland we are looking at a progression towards or a looking for meaning. But when you read german you are looking at an assumption that there is no meaning there is simply life. It's almost sisyphisian is a camus kind of way, for them it feels like the character is just repeatedly pushing the rock up the mountain everyday and waking up to find it at the bottom again. In coupland it feels more like the "drop out and tune in" culture where they think by the way they act they have achieved something particular and fascinating.

so I'm looking for something with a similar amount of action, but less directionality and belief in progression. Also probably something more urban, but I have no actual proof that would have any effect, I just am not on board with the back to nature.

the other thing about coupland is he inhabits a nostalgia that there is something worthwhile that exists if you could just get it that I don't think you get in german at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Generation X.