Dan Pham's Reviews > The Tao of Pooh

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: chinese-philosophy
Read in September, 2011

The Tao of Pooh.

So after much procrastination and a wicked sore throat which has left me a homebody for most of this fine labor day weekend, I've finally finished reading this. I am very glad that I did though.

To be honest, I was quite skeptical of this book which makes an attempt to show a parallel between the adventures of Winnie the Pooh with Taoist philosophy. I at first thought that this would be a gimmicky sorta book, meant to sell to people captivated by Pooh bear at an early age (myself included). I was wrong though, the author, Benjamin Hoffman, does a good job of weaving entertaining bits of Pooh bear, creative dialogue, and Taoist stories together to create a book that has really helped me reflect on life, work, and happiness. There are some parts that definitely challenge the reader, accusing him or her of being something called a "bisy backson" which basically means a busy-body who is always trying to go somewhere, never content with what they have. Of course, the fact that it's in poohspeak softens the blow, which makes it easier I think for the hardened bisy backson to lighten up.

I would recommend anyone who is stressing about anything in life to read this. It'll probably help you live longer. Personally, I plan on revisiting this book again in the future, just as a friendly reminder of the Pooh Way.

Revision: This is meant to be a cotton-candy sorta read that offers a *very* basic overview of Taoism. I wouldn't recommend any Chinese Philosophy majors to quote this in their thesis oh Taoism haha. Seriously, lighten up, GoodReads reviewers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Pooh.