Cathy 's Reviews > Blood of the Demon

Blood of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: urban, fantasy, angels-demons, mystery, read-in-2011, twitter-author, paranormal
Read from September 05 to 06, 2011

I loved this second book in the series as much as the first, Rowland has an a wonderful touch with her voice for Kara and I can't imagine anyone not loving her. She's smart, a bit sassy workout being at all obnoxious, vulnerable without being weak, just a great heroine. And Rowland's background as a police officer and morgue technician really shows in the work. The way that she seamless integrates the police and CSI work with the paranormal world that she's created is remarkable, it feels completely real. Watching the investigation unfold is like watching a paranormal Criminal Minds or CSI, except it's the "real" thing, not the flashy TV version, she has to do all of the paperwork and slog through hours of surveillance videos, and go to autopsies and try not to scratch her nose while she has bone dust on her gloves; its not glam! And trying to sneak a peak at the arcane essence of the deceased at a crime scene or explain why a victim should be part of a homicide investigation and not be considered suicide can be pretty challenging when it's based on viewing things no one else can see. Tricky!

The mystery in this one was a little jumbled, but it wasn't important, it provided the framework for the character development, which was terrific. Not only did Kara grow in her relationships with Ryan and Rhyzkahl (has anyone noticed how similar their names are? Is that part of Ryan's big secret somehow?), but she also grew in her abilities as a summoner. Jill and Zack were also somewhat expanded as characters and I hope to see more of them in the next book, Kara needs friends. It can't all be about work, as much as the work stuff, both the police and the arcane, are super well done and fascinating. But a girl needs a bit of balance, and not just from donuts and Oreos.

Usually I'm not a big fan of love triangles, but I do like this one. For one thing, despite yet another romance novel looking cover, it does not in any way take over the book. (I'm glad the cover of book three finally reflects the UF kick-butt nature of the store, it's much better marketing for the book). She's attracted to these guys but there's no relationship yet. Both have major secrets and she's wisely wary of them. Strangely, the demon is in some ways safer to her now because at least she knows the rules with him. Even if he does leave her feeling empty. But Ryan keeps blowing things. And he keeps coming back, but as a friend. Hmm. We'll see about that, Mr
So jealous of the demon he can't see straight.

So, smart police procedural with an arcane twist. I could have just said that, huh?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Demon.

09/05/2011 page 186
50.0% "Rowland's background as a police officer and as a morgue tech really shows, these books are great."