Alexis Villery's Reviews > The Taste of Salt

The Taste of Salt by Martha Southgate

Oct 02, 11

Read from September 05 to 08, 2011

In The Taste of Salt, we get a picture into Josie's life at a point where her past connects with her present and forces her to stop ignoring her history, family, and choices. This is a complex story dealing with issues of addiction and alcoholism; yet, it is surprisingly easy to read. I found myself getting lost into Josie's story. Though events are primarily through Josie's eyes, the reader views her same story through other perspectives, but this technique is used sparingly. Though I didn't agree with all of Josie's choices, I understood many of her thoughts and reasoning. I think Ms. Southgate zones in on issues that affect many people of color. Especially those who want to escape ugly stereotypes. Though in Josie's case, she's not quite sure how to do this. Perhaps she is escaping her family instead? Question mark? Though I have read the book, I have many thoughts and suppositions but haven't made up my mind yet. This is the beauty of this book. It isn't dark and depressing either. I think this is a book about choices.

Ms. Southgate does not beat the reader on the head with any particular view but allows the reader to come to conclusions on their own without feeling like the author left things vague and open. After finishing this book, I'm left with thoughts about the writing almost more than the story. It is amazingly well-written. Simply written, while conveying enormous complexities. I tend to enjoy books with amazing characters. I was not attached to Josie. I'm not sure if I liked her, but it never mattered at any point in this book. This imperfect character seemed so real that I was sure she had to based on a real life person.

Things end on a realistic note without everything tied up in a bow. Read this if you are looking for a book that will make you think long after you reach the end of the pages. This is also a perfect book club pick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taste of Salt.