Tiffany's Reviews > Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig

Sep 06, 2011

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble was an enjoyable story. I think that kids will like that the characters are animals and that there is a magical element to it. Even though the story was mainly written for younger readers, the vocabulary can add that challenge for older/more advanced readers.

The mother and father had very traditional roles. The mother was seen cleaning and knitting. The father was seen relaxing in his chair with his pipe. Nowadays, people might not like that, but the book was published in 1969 and that was perfectly fine for that time.

Like the king and queen story that we read last week in class, the parents in this story also go from group to group (neighbors, police, kids, and dogs) asking for help in finding Sylvester. However, I think they asked different groups for a different reason than the king and queen in the other book. I don't think they did it because they didn't know much about their son. In this book, the parents did know a lot about their son. The father even knew that Sylvester liked pebbles, like the magical one that he found. I think the parents just didn't know what else to do, so they wanted to ask everyone that they could for help.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble.