JoLee's Reviews > Uglies

May 07, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2008, young-adult
Read in April, 2008

I think this book was perhaps a little too hyped. I liked it, but I wasn't wowed. I think the premise is pretty interesting -- a distant future where everyone has an operation to turn them "pretty" when they turn 16 so that, in concept anyway, everyone is equal. I realize that this book is for young adults, but I think it would be a lot better if the writing style was a bit more sophisticated. I thought the hoverboards were pretty awesome. And the book has a serious cliff-hanger ending so I am eager to read the rest of the series to see what happens.

OK. I think I figured out why I wasn't too excited about this book. It's because a good half of it is a "survival story" -- the main character is out in the wilderness all alone trying to figure out what she needs to do to get where she's going. For some reason I have a really hard time getting into survival plots. The characters are always having to figure out what to eat and how to get where they are going, and all of that can be really repetitive. And it's not just that that single survival book is repetitive, but the whole genre of survival stories have all the same basic elements so you feel like you're reading the same story over and over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

message 1: by Karen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen I just finished this book and gave it three stars also. You liked "The Hunger Games" a lot more, as did I. So maybe, all survival stories are not created equal? :)

JoLee So true. Lately, I've read a lot of good books that feature real, hard-core survivors. The thing about Scott Westerfeld's Uglies books is that I love the world that he's created in the cities. It's so interesting, but then he always takes his characters out of the city and my interest plummets. Speaking of Scott Westerfeld, go to this website to watch an extremely funny video he made for Halloween. I know Halloween was a long time ago, but I think this will make you laugh.

Karen Haaaah! That was so funny!

JoLee Scary, evil Grandma soap.