Christine's Reviews > Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Read in September, 2011

CeeCee Honeycutt spent the first 12 years of her life being raised by a mother who loved her, but became increasingly more erratic and embarrassing to CeeCee as her mental illness overcame her. CeeCee's father essentially abandoned them as he traveled for his job. After CeeCee's mother died, CeeCee moved to Savanah, GA to live with a Great Aunt she never knew existed. And the bulk of the book captures CeeCee's adventures with her Great Aunt, her loving housekeeper, and all of their crazy friends.

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was a fun read and a heartwarming story. There moments when I literally laughed out loud. But I never felt like I got the full story. I felt like each chapter was an episode of the Cosby Show where the family was presented with a problem, came up with a solution in the middle, tied up all the loose ends by the end of the chapter and then moved on to the next problem. But, then again, I've always loved the Cosby Show.

Hoffman set the book in the South in the 60s. She gave us a little girl who was raised by a mentally ill mom and abandoned by her father. There were lots of opportunities to give us some depth to historical events and delve in to CeeCee's emotional state. But she didn't. The setting and background weren't fleshed out enough. The story could have been set in present day South and CeeCee's parent's could have died in a car accident. And we would have gotten the same story. So that was a little disappointing.

But it did keep my interest throughout the whole book. The characters were quirky and fun. And I loved the idea of a Life Book with new chapters in our life. I'd definitely recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.