Jesse's Reviews > Thud!

Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Sep 22, 13

bookshelves: detective-mystery, fantasy, humor
Recommended to Jesse by: my brain!
Recommended for: Fans of fun, fantasy, mystery, and word play
Read from August 16 to 31, 2013, read count: 2

I just recently re-read this book and had a blast. I always enjoy Terry Pratchett's work in Discworld, but none are quite as fun as those surrounding Sam Vimes and the city watch of Ankh-Morpork. You get the witty pun work of Pratchett in crime/mystery story set in a fantasy world and involving a police force that has a dwarf raised human, a werewolf, golems(that's right I said multiple animated clay beings), actual dwarfs, Trolls, and one Knobby Knobbs (species un-claimed by any known group). Its just great fun and adventure. This one is a particular favorite of mine since it parodies "The Da Vinci Code" but much more enjoyable than that droll piece of mediocrity, and manages to get into a metaphor for ethnic/political/cultural/philosophical problems in the real life world. If you've never read Terry Pratchett before I'd recommend starting with this one or "The Fifth Elephant" which are two of my favorite Sam Vime's installments. The Disc World series is great to jump into at any point since its written by a brilliant author that does exposition amazingly well, so that any reader worth there salt will know whats going on even starting further down the chronological line of the series (the book do actually happen in a chronological order, but have many different point of view characters). I tried being that kind of book nerd and starting at the beginning but didn't find it as enjoyable since I had already had a taste of Sam Vimes. So in conclusion, read this book cause its amazing, even if you haven't read any of the other Discworld books you'll still enjoy it a lot cause I had only read 3 others prior to it and still followed the story easily. You have to be at least as competent a reader as dumb ole me right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thud!.