Caren's Reviews > The Indigo Notebook

The Indigo Notebook by Laura Resau

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read in August, 2011

Having read the author's more recent book, "The Queen of Water", I wanted to read her earlier work of fiction set in Ecuador. (Well, "The Queen of Water" is ostensibly fiction, but is based on real events.) In "The Indigo Notebook", the author introduces us to a very interesting and likeable mother/daughter duo, fifteen-year-old Zeeta and her free-spirited mother, Layla. Zeeta is the product of a one night stand on a beach and so doesn't know who her father might be. Layla has moved every year of Zeeta's life, teaching English in a wide assortment of (usually developing) countries. Zeeta longs for a "normal" dad and some stability. The book could be a play on the saying "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". Zeeta is a resilient survivor, learning new languages and making new friends with each move. In Ecuador, she meets a teen-age boy, Wendell, who also wishes to know his real father, having been adopted from the country as a baby. The two join forces, Zeeta as his translator, and Wendell with his gift for premonition. Along the way, the reader is treated to a fascinating look at Ecuadoran native culture of the indigenous Andean peoples. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Otavalo, courtesy of Ms. Resau!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Indigo Notebook.