MissM's Reviews > The Mage in Black

The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: nook, read-2011
Read from September 05 to 07, 2011

Wells does this strange thing in her books. She uses the words "males" and "females" all the time where it's odd and sounds strange.

For example, she doesn't say, "there was a group of men at the bar" or "there was a group of guys at the bar" she'll say, "there was a group of males at the bar." She almost never uses "men" or "women" at all. Always "males" and "females." And not even like, "guys" or "chicks" or slang.

It sounds so weird. And it stands out because it's just not how people speak normally. Grammatically, it's fine. But it reads like someone for whom English is not their first language and is just slightly missing on common parlance.

And I'm not sure where the title comes into play either. Who does it refer to? Adam is gone the entire book (conveniently) so is it supposed to be her? Because she's definitely not a mage. (Yet anyway.)

I don't know. There's so many flaws with the book and I could nitpick it to pieces...and yet, I enjoy reading the series so far and want to see where it goes. It's like a guilty pleasure or something. Totally bad for you but you find yourself enjoying it anyway.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mage in Black.