Meen's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

May 13, 09

bookshelves: own-it, fiction, religion-spirituality-atheism
Recommended to Meen by: Madame actually gave me this copy.
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

4/13/09: Whew, done! Right up till the last night of reading (last night), I was teetering on five stars, but the damn prosecuter's speech just went on and on and on and was so freaking tedious it infuriated me. Also, the whole thing was a bit too preachy for this atheist to feel totally in love. But it was a wonderful read, and after about a third of the way in I was actually stopping doing other things to read it and looking forward to it while I was away from it, especially at the climax of the trial (which made the droning, repetitive prosecuter's chapters even more annoying). I like War and Peace MUCH better, and I think I will make Anna Karenina my next Russian novel.

3/18/09: So, I've been drowning myself in mostly academic nonfiction, and my life is overly stressful right now, and I yearned for some fiction, and I thought I needed something simple, and I read She Wakes thinking that would help, and I was SORELY disappointed, and I had been avoiding Dostoevsky 'cause I thought something so complex would only be a chore, but NO, I started last night, and I was completely enthralled just a few pages in. I NEED complexity in my fiction. It's a soothing tonic. Ahhhhhh.....
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

Richard I liked Crime and Punishment much, much more than The Brothers Karamazov. I'd recommend it.

If you liked the romantic portions of War & Peace, you should very much enjoy Anna Karenina; if the war chapters were more intriguing, A.K. might be a bit of a letdown.

But if you want more depression, you could always pick up some Chekov... just in case spring is too joyous, you know.

Meen Thanks, Richard! You know, I actually like BOTH about W&P. I liked that it had it ALL.

I definitely want to avoid Fyodor for a bit, so no C&P anytime soon. I DO like depressing, however, so maybe I'll try Chekov next. Good suggestion!

William I known what you mean about the court scene at the end of the book, it drags!! I mean c'mon, we have read like 900 hundred pages so far, end it already fydor. You say it is preachy, but you have got to admit that Ivan laid out his case pretty well to Alyosha. The atheist view point is well represented. Anyway, take care.

Meen Yeah, it's well-represented, and then ultimately dismissed. THAT annoyed me!

Kate I skipped the damn speech