Nancy's Reviews > The Sleepwalkers

The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from October 07 to 10, 2011

This was a haunting book. I couldn't bear to read it, but I couldn't put it down.

Grossman's novel brought all the horror of Nazi Germany to life for me in a way that pure historical reports have never done. This engrossing novel was so humane and so compassionate that it made the atrocities we are all familiar with seem totally alive and all too painful.

The detective in The Sleepwalkers is a decorated WW1 hero and notable for solving some celebrated crimes in post-war Germany. His position and his friendships take him through every strata of a very decadent Berlin and characters are well-drawn and memorable. In addition to the danger of inspecting a heinous crime, the Jewish inspector runs full-tilt into Hitler's top commanders but is so intent on his job that he fails to take into consideration that he is a target because of his race and his position. The Sleepwalkers is greater than the sum of its parts:
. . . it is a riveting story of love and heroism;
. . . it is a poignant reminder of the dangers of intolerance; and
. . . it is a cautionary tale for all generations.

I received this book through the First Reads program on this site and I'm looking forward to reading the next novel by Grossman (which appears to be a prequel to this story).

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleepwalkers.

message 1: by Wally (new) - added it

Wally Sounds wonderful. Another book I'd like to read. I'll add it to my to be read list.